Microsoft today released Visual Studio 2017 version 15.4 for developers. The latest update comes with new features and multiple bug fixes. The update has added support for CMake 3.9 and more flexible CMake project structures.
In addition, the Universal Windows Platform Development workload now comes with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update SDK. Check out more details below.
What’s New in Visual Studio 2017 version 15.4
- The new Setup and Installer launch banner lets you know when your installation is successful. We added a new warning message at the end of your install that contains links to the Developer Community for additional help.
- We made improvements to XAML. You can now edit or remove XAML resources, and add ControlTemplates.
- The Universal Windows Platform Development workload now comes with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update SDK.
- We added .NET Standard 2.0 support to the Windows Fall Creators Update.
- The Windows Application Packaging Project provides you with new project templates that help package any of your Windows projects into an
- .NET Core 2.0 is included by default for Web Development and .NET Core Workloads.
- We enhanced Live Unit Testing to include support for MSTest version 1 framework, and improved discoverability of this feature.
- You can deploy, test, and debug your apps directly on iOS and Android devices with Xamarin Live.
- Added support for CMake 3.9 and more flexible CMake project structures.
- You can now target Linux from your CMake projects. Use your existing CMake code base as your solution without needing to convert it to a VS project.
- We improved Unity support in Visual Studio Tools and added the Set Instruction Pointer feature under the new runtime.
- The Android SDK is now being installed to a private location.
- R Tools now has support for Linux remoting and RMarkdown including live editing, brace matching, and code completion.
Fixed in this Release
- The Developer Community spoke and we listened. This list provides the 10 highest voted issues fixed in this release.
- Dev Community Votes Deleting a file from the Solution Explorer doesn’t delete the actual file.
- Dev Community Votes Copy/Paste causes VS to hang with a popup “formatting text”.
- Dev Community Votes VS2017 15.3 freezes in debug when Threads window is open.
- Dev Community Votes Visual Studio freezes and shows a busy notification during and after debug session.
- Dev Community Votes Auto-complete adds parentheses at the wrong place.
- Dev Community Votes Open same file twice in IDE results in a pop-up dialog with message “This document is opened by another project”.
- Dev Community Votes Test Explorer forgets settings for Default Process Architecture and Keep Test Execution Engine Running.
- Dev Community Votes Visual Studio 2017 update install failed due to corrupted file.
- Dev Community Votes Browse online extensions throws “The magic number in the GZip header is not correct.” error.
- Dev Community Votes Solution build fails with docker compose error.
You can read full changelog here.