Update: The first Redstone 5 Windows 10 Build 17604 is now available for download for Skip ahead insiders. The new Redstone 5 build comes with bug fixes and improvements. In addition, Windows 10 Build 17604 ISO download links will be available later on our website. Check out more details below.
Update 2: Windows 10 build 17604 ISO links are now available here.
New In Windows 10 Build 17604 (Redstone 5)
Emoji design updates: Made adjustments to the design of some of our emoji.
Emoji search comes to more languages: Adding search support to more locales too! Now you can find an emoji by keyword in over 150 locales, including English (Great Britain), French (France), German (Germany), Spanish (Spain), and more. This will help you get the emoji you want easily and quickly. As a reminder, to bring up the Emoji Panel set focus to a text field and press WIN + (period) or WIN + (semicolon).
Windows App Permissions
UWP File System Access: UWP apps will be granted permission to have broad file system access. This capability will be granted on a per app basis by Microsoft. If a UWP app has the broad file system access restricted capability, you will receive a consent dialog prompting you to accept or deny the request. If at any time you change your mind about the decision, you can go to Settings > Privacy where you’ll find a new Settings page for File System Access.
A new power scheme – Ultimate Performance: Introducing a new power policy called Ultimate Performance. Windows has developed key areas where performance and efficiency tradeoffs are made in the OS. Over time, we’ve amassed a collection of settings which allow the OS to quickly tune the behavior based on user preference, policy, underlying hardware or workload.
This new policy builds on the current High-Performance policy, and it goes a step further to eliminate micro-latencies associated with fine-grained power management techniques. The Ultimate Performance Power plan is selectable either by an OEM on new systems or selectable by a user. To do so, you can go to Control Panel and navigate to Power Options under Hardware and Sound (you can also “run” Powercfg.cpl). Just like other power policies in Windows, the contents of the Ultimate Performance policy can be customized.
Productivity-focused out of box applications: In the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, the out of box experience for Windows 10 Pro for Workstations draws from the Pro edition of Windows 10. One area where this is noticeable is the suite of applications installed out of the box visible as tiles in the start menu. In the next release for Windows, you will see for Windows 10 Pro for Workstations productivity and enterprise-focused applications in place of consumer applications and games. This was one of the top feedback shared with us by our partners and users and we’re delivering this in our next update.
Fixed In Windows 10 Build 17604
- We fixed an issue from the last flight were some PCs failed to resume from hibernate (requiring a hard reboot to recover).
- We fixed an issue after upgrading to the last flight where Start didn’t work for Insiders who’d had HomeGroup added as a folder to appear on Start.
- We’ve updated the touch keyboard so that if you try to shapewrite in an unsupported text field or when the typing resources aren’t installed, you won’t see the shapewriting trail as you swipe your finger over the keys.
- Fixed an issue which may have caused a Microsoft Edge tab to crash after playing video when some extensions are enabled
- We fixed an issue resulting in newly installed Microsoft Edge extensions not appearing in the Extensions pane in the last two flights.
- We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard showed an English layout with no IME on/off key when an East Asian keyboard is the only input method on your system.
- We fixed an issue that could result in the mouse cursor suddenly jump to screen corner while mouse was moving in a List Control.
- We fixed an issue resulting in certain fingerprint readers not working in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue where Windows Hello failed to work on Surface Laptops with the last build.
- We’re updating the “Advanced graphics settings” link on the Display Settings page to now just say “Graphics Settings”.
- When your volume is muted, the volume icons in the Sound Settings page will also now appear muted.
- If you click the Reset button on the App volume and device preferences page, it will now also reset any app specific volumes you’ve set back to default (100%).
- We fixed an issue resulting in app updates failing in the Microsoft Store with error 0x80070057 in recent builds.
Known Issues with Windows 10 Build 17604
- 3 and 4 finger gestures on the touchpad are unresponsive.
- The Japanese IME sometimes can’t turn on in UWP apps. If you encounter this issue switch to a Win32 application (e.g. Notepad), turn the IME on there, then switch back to the UWP app.
- Plugging in an external optical drive (DVD) will cause an Explorer.exe crash.
- Bringing up Game bar using the Xbox button on an Xbox One controller doesn’t work in some games.
- In the text box for Mixer stream title, using non-character keys (e.g. Tab, Delete, Backspace, etc.) may cause the game to hang for a few seconds.
- Selecting a notification after taking a screenshot or game clip opens the Xbox app’s home screen instead of opening the screenshot or game clip.
- In some games—such as Destiny 2 and Fortnite—mouse and keyboard input will still go to the game while Game bar is open.
- Buttons on Game bar are not centered correctly.
- Keyboard and mouse input may not work correctly in Game bar when playing a first person game (e.g. Minecraft). Alt + Tab out of and into the game should fix this.
- Settings will crash if you open the Themes Settings page
Original Story: As reported earlier, Microsoft has started compiling Windows 10 Redstone 5 update builds. The company is now testing Windows 10 build 17604 internally. This new Windows 10 Redstone 5 (v1809) build 17604 (10.0.17604.1000 rs_prerelease.180209-1422) was compiled on Fab 09, 2018. Next week, Windows Skip ahead insiders might get this build.
If you’re looking for RS4 build, then Windows 10 preview build 17093 is now available for the Insiders. The latest insider preview build comes improvements for the Game bar, Diagnostic Data, Graphics improvements, Eye Control, Windows Security, Bluetooth, Microsoft Edge, Input, Ease of Access improvements and much more.
The ISO files for Windows 10 build 17093 are also now available for download. You can download it from the link below.