According to the company, the first wave of Platoons features is added with the Spring Update, and DICE’s focus with the initial release is to add some of the core and most essential Platoons features, such as the Platoon Tag. Check out more details below.
New in Battlefield 1 Spring Update
- Create & Manage – Any player can create a Platoon; you are however limited to one General role, the highest rank and the rank a Platoon creator starts with, at any one time. When creating a Platoon, you can add the following info:
- Name – This is required and must be 3-24 characters. Names are not exclusive.
- Tag – This is required and consists of 1-4 alpha-numerical characters. Tags are not exclusive.
- Description – This is optional and can be up to 256 characters long. Use this to describe your Platoon however you see fit.
- Emblem – You can choose an emblem for the Platoon from your own personal Emblem gallery. The emblem is then “copied” to the Platoon, meaning that if you later update your own emblem, it’s not automatically reflected in the Platoon emblem.
- Access Type – This selection defines how other players can and cannot join your Platoon: Open (anyone can join the Platoon instantly), Apply-to-Join (anyone can apply; Platoon members with permissions can accept or reject applications), Closed (no one can join the Platoon while in this state)
Platoons are currently capped at 100 members, and players can be a member of a maximum 10 Platoons.
More details about Platoons:
- General – This is the highest Platoon rank and there can only be one General in the Platoon at any one time. The creator will initially get this rank, but can transfer it to someone else (which must be done if you want to leave the Platoon). The General has access to everything, including the option to change name, tag, and even disband the Platoon.
- Colonel – Colonel is the second-highest rank and has access to most Platoon management tools, such as editing the description, emblem, and the access type. This means they can step in for the General most of the time.
- Lieutenant – The Lieutenant is the lowest level rank with management permissions. Mainly their ability is to accept or reject Platoon applications, if the Platoon is set to “Apply-to-Join”, as well as link their Rented Servers to the Platoon.
- Private – Private is the initial rank any new member gets in the Platoon. This rank doesn’t give you access to anything, besides the fact that you are now a member of the Platoon and can represent it and join other members playing. As a rule of thumb, you can always promote someone else to one rank lower than your own, and demote or kick members that are one rank or lower than your own. Rank permissions also always stack, so if you’re promoted you can know for certain that you have the same access as before – and more.
- Find & Join – Platoons is all about playing together. In the “Find Platoon” section, you will sometimes get a list of recommended Platoons to join, which is currently based on other Platoons that your friends are representing. Once you’ve found a Platoon, its access type will determine how easy it is for you to join. Maybe you can simply join it right away, or you must apply. If you’re unlucky it’s closed, and that’s that.
- Representing and Playing with Your Platoon – For many players, representing your Platoon is what it’s all about and we have tried to make this process easy, smooth, and awesome with the new system. First, you can always only represent one Platoon at any given time, and you can also choose not to represent any. You will retain your membership and rank in the Platoon; it’s basically just something you toggle. When you represent a Platoon, its tag will automatically be displayed in front of your name and its emblem will automatically be displayed wherever your emblem is usually displayed. This essentially “overrides” your equipped emblem; when you represent a Platoon, we want you to really represent it.
More in Battlefield 1 Spring Update:
Medic Revive Intent
- You can now “spot” the dead player to indicate that you are on your way to them. The player will see your name blinking in the death screen and show as “incoming medic”. The medic will also shout that he is coming.
- Server admins can now add other players to a list to give them admin rights to the server.
- With Battlefield 1 Spring Update a server can now be set to need lower numbers before pre-round ends (from 20 to 6).
- We are also adding the ability to use password protected servers.
- With this update, we’re introducing four new weapon variants – one for each class: Hellriegel 1915 Defensive, Selbstlader 1906 Sniper, Huot Automatic Optical, Martini Henry Sniper
- With the Battlefield 1 Spring Update we’ve decided to expand the system by adding 19 new Ribbons. The focus with the new Ribbons is to promote teamwork. You will now get Ribbons for performing tasks such as spotting, reviving, resupplying, repairing, healing, and more.
- There are five more Dog Tags to get with this update: Battlefest 2017, Answers HQ, Sakura & Murata, Regimental Stein, Play to Give